Thursday, December 1, 2016

Fading From Your Mind

Fading From Your Mind


We met at the maple tree.
It was autumn,
Leaves beginning to blush,
Just as my cheeks did when I ran into him.

I’m not sure how it became,
But it was lovely, he was lovely.
He was stalwart and kind.
It is germane at this point,
To say I was in love.

But he began to ignore my class,
He spurned my attempts at conversation.
Until one day, I saw him,
Sitting on the escarpment,
With his arms around another girl.

And suddenly I understood.
Pain like I’ve never felt before,
Violently tore through my heart.

I came home and cried,
Over his sinister actions.
And soon those tears,
Turned to guttural sobs.

The next week was full of lethargy.
I was heartbroken and petulant.
I tried to convince myself,
That it was okay,
But I couldn’t countenance it any longer.

I lay awake at night,
Staring at the moon,
The curtains flow,
Looking like ghosts,
As the keening wind wails.

And I just lay there,
With a hand over my mouth,
Tears streaming down my no-longer blushing cheeks,
And try to be silent,
So I do not wake my family.

And I cry,
Because I know a part of me will always love you.
Maybe we feel empty,
Because we leave a piece of ourselves,
In everything we’ve ever loved.

You will forever be the person,
That I look for in a crowded room.
But
 I
 Can
   Feel
     Myself
       Slowly
         Fading
            From
               Your
                 Mind

No comments:

Post a Comment